Sunday, October 10, 2010

Migrant Mother








Still having problems finding photographs/accounts of pregnant farm women. Especially uplifting ones.
These photos (by Dorthea Lange) are from Mar. 1936, at a pea pickers camp in CA. Failed pea crop that year... they were eating frozen vegetables from the field and birds the kids kiilled. Migrant mom, Florence Owens Thompson, age 32, with 7 hungry children.


Feeling lucky to have all that I have. Although this was a long long time ago, many migrant farmers/farm workers and their familes in this country and worldwide are hungry, sick, mistreated, underpaid, etc. I feel blessed that my husband and I are both educated, have job security, good quality of life, and can provide for our new baby. Sometimes I think it's going to be too hard financially, etc. but it's all relative. Gotta keep things in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment