Friday, July 16, 2010

Dos and Don'ts

When you're farming, you often get so caught up in your day that you realize "I haven't drank any water!" or you say to yourself "Don't hold it in ANY longer... go pee!" Maybe you're thinking, if you're not drinking, you shouldn't have to pee but stranger things have happened, believe you me. Anywho, things just get so hectic and crazy, and you get into a rhythm, you don't want to stop to do anything.

These are things I can't afford to do pregnant. I HAVE to drink A LOT of water; it's really important. Especially with the hot hot spring and summer we've been having. And I HAVE to pee when I have to pee (increased chances of getting UTI when pregnant), which is a VERY LOT MORE OFTEN than when not pregnant. This is due to increased blood pumping through the body, ultimately leading to increased fluid processed by the kidneys and ending up in the bladder. Also, there is additional pressure on the bladder as the baby and uterus grow.

In general I just have to take more breaks more often. To snack, as pregnant women are told to increase their caloric intake about 300, and I need to take in a bit more because I'm so active. Also to cool down if I'm out in the sun too long. And just to rest. I push push push and I realize it's taking a toll on my body. Another interesting thing that happens during pregnancy is the body produces much more of the hormone relaxin, which essentially relaxes and makes more elastic the ligaments and joints, ultimately aiding to loosen things up during the birth. But if you're doing a lot of strenuous work, with less stability and strength in the joints and tissues, you can strain things more easily and hurt yourself. This is also true of the abdominal and core muscles, which must loosen and expand to allow for the growing uterus.

Where am I going with all of this? Nowhere really. Just sharing some things I've learned. And realizing how hard it is for me to come to terms with some of this. I am used to working, and working hard. If something needs to get done, I just do it. I am trying so hard to navigate all this and respect my body. Ask for more help, lift fewer 40 and 50 lb. lugs of produce. It's not easy. But it's important. But don't let people tell you can't stay physically active, you can! If you were slothful prior to pregnancy, don't go running any marathons. But medically, I have been told and have read you can continue doing what you're used to doing, just keep being mindful of your body and what it's telling you. And it's good to stay active and stay strong.

But, this whole taking breaks thing can be a slippery slope. Especially with all these 90+ degree days, and excessive heat warnings. If I give myself an inch, I want to take a mile. I DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING A DANG THING ANY MORE, EVER AGAIN. Know what I mean? I was at the farm for 13 hours today. This is rare, but nonetheless, there I was. In that smothering heat. Not something I want to sign on to do again. But Aby brought lemon icebox pie for lunch, with an Oreo cookie crust and our farm raspberries and whipped cream on top and it made it all worthwhile. Thanks Ab. TGIF.

No comments:

Post a Comment