Thursday, July 15, 2010

Earlier this Season

When I first found out I was pregnant in early March, there was no way I could keep it from Aby, my partner in crime at the farm. So the morning Gerard and I saw the plus sign on the pregnancy test, I brought a couple old "Congrats" balloons from a friend's recent party into work and played this song on the computer (http://www.starbittrune.com/Jack/littlepotato.html), hitting the balloons around our office, saying "You know what this means! You know what this means!" and making eyes at her. She did not get it right away but I wouldn't say anything else. Then she got it and we hugged and we've been in shock pretty much ever since. It's funny how I still haven't gotten used to it. It's so amazing and strange that I have a little baby growing in my body. I feel so different, but I also feel the same, and I'm used to growing tangible things that I look at every day, water, weed, nourish, etc. I'm doing similar things for my baby, but the whole process is all so invisible and mysterious. Plus in those first few months, your body is not necessarily changing all that much externally, so it's even harder to believe what's going on inside.

We were hired to manage a farm on land we don't own, so we actually have a supervisor that is usually relatively behind the scenes. I did have to notify work about my news, which I did at 3 months, and I was a little nervous. The boss man was very happy for me, and we chatted about pregnancy, and parenthood, discussed what my plans were down the line.

But I do remember, God love him, he also said I did not yet have the pregnancy glow. He is not the only man to have told me this. Gentlemen, a word of advice: you need not ever tell any pregnant woman that she is not exuding the pregnancy glow. In the words of Stephanie Tanner, "How rude!".

At some point, when I was not showing much, but my jeans were not necessarily super comfortable, I was rocking my husband Gerard's jeans a lot at work. These were quite holey in the knees. I got a little talking to about that, as believe it or not, we can't wear whatever grungy holey clothes we want to at the farm. I was quite offended again; this was all that fit!

Where was a pitchfork when a woman needed one? I'd like to introduce him to the nice healthy glow of those steel tines! Nonetheless, I went to the thrift store after work and picked up some more jeans.

Beyond that, in those early months, I don't remember too much in the way of pregnant farmin' stories. I wasn't getting sick, but I wasn't feeling great. I was tired and nauseous, but work had still not picked up too too much. Aby and I start moving out of the office, and into the fields a bit more that time of year, and we just kept plugging away at the tasks at hand. I think she remembers me getting a little wobbly and wierd while pruning raspberries. On the homefront, Gerard and I were enjoying telling more friends and family after 3 months, and learning what changes were happening with the baby and my body week to week.

No comments:

Post a Comment